When the golden days of movies began to die down, television and tourism came
in. Here again, film companies found housing at the Dow Hotel. In 1957 Mr. Walter
Dow sold the Hotel to Mr. & Mrs. Joe Bonham and Mr. & Mrs. Ivan Turner. The
Bonhams and the Turners built the first Motel section adjacent to the Hotel
where Santa Rosa Catholic Church used to be located, naming the new addition
"The Dow Villa Motel." In 1959 a second section to the Motel was added, and
a third in 1963. All three of the original Motel sections have had a major reconstruction
The Dow Hotel still bears that refined, graceful air of its Hollywood heyday. It is constantly being restored to its original charm. It is well known throughout Europe and the Far East for its history, cozy quaintness, fair prices and friendly service. Because of its central location, tour companies favor the Dow.
The Dow property has been family owned and operated since 1957. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Bonham's daughters, Lynne Bunn and Jeanne Willey, presently own and operate the Dow.
By building the Dow Hotel, there is no doubt that Mr. Walter Dow was responsible for
much of the prosperity that came to the Owens Valley.